In response to my request for carrot recipes, my mom posted a comment with a new recipe for Huron House Carrot Bread from a Michigan cookbook that my sister had given her. (By the way, do we need to have a talk about the fact that no one ever leaves comments? Bless her heart, my mom always leaves commnets, but that doesn't count as much -- your mom is obligated to support you in all endevors! I know you people are out there reading this!! PS- Thanks, Mother!) Back to the so-called carrot bread.
I was super excited to give this one a shot. The ingredients looked delicious (coconut, pineapple, orange zest) as I mixed them, and I ended up with two (yes two - not three as the recipe states) beautiful loaves of bread. What more could I ask for?
Well, here's my rub:
When I am cooking, baking, heading to a restaurant -- pretty much planning to eat in any shape or form -- I totally visualize the food headed my way, and get myself all psyched up about it! Don't go throwing around the word pizza around me if you're not ready to commit to it. I have this picture/taste in my mind about what I'm getting ready to experience, and if it doesn't live up to that, then I have trouble enjoying it. Is that fair to the food? Probably not, but I'm not overly concerned about it.
Again, back to the "carrot" bread. Perhaps I should have known better after looking at the ingredients, but when I saw that I was making carrot bread, my head went to visions of carrot cakes and zucchini breads. When you first bite into this bread, it's really the orange flavor that jumps out first, followed by pineapple and coconut. Totally not what I had envisioned, and it took me a second to get past that. It's kind of deceiving because if you didn't know it was carrot bread, you'd just taste the orange flavor and see all of the orange specks, and assume "Orange!"
In the end, although this was a very moist and tasty treat worth trying again, I'm casting my vote to have it officially renamed "Tropical Bread" or something of that nature - not the suspicious "CARROT Bread"!
What am I, dog meat? I comment all the time little miss! :) I just never cook with carrots so I was of no help with that request. I am with Jack- you should definitely write a book.
ReplyDeleteOkay, fine...you comment too! I guess a little effort on my part with leaving comments on your blog wouldn't hurt either :) I'll try to think of something interesting to post about soon so that you can leave some juicy comments!!
ReplyDelete