14 December 2010

The Deployment Kitchen: CLOSING SOON!

Two nights ago, the kids and I decided that it was a great night for hot cocoa.  I went into the process very excited -- a chance to try a new recipe!!  However, in the end I realized that our night of whipping up some hot cocoa turned out to be the perfect metaphor for my time in the kitchen during this deployment.  When Audrey suggested hot cocoa, my thought process went a little like this:

Phase 1: Ooohhh...perfect!  I just saw an amazing-looking recipe on one of my favorite blogs!  I can try it, then take some fun pictures, and share it on my blog.  Oh...bittersweet chocolate.  Will the kids like that?  Probably not.  No sugar?  Hmm...probably won't like that either.  I'd love to try something new, but hate to waste the time and ingredients on something only I will drink.  Darn.

Phase 2: I guess I should just make something that I know the kids will love.  They always love helping make a pot of Hershey's hot cocoa!  Okay, we'll do that.  They'll have a blast.  Wait...a blast = me cleaning a sink full of dishes, wiping up the floor, and not being able to get any presents wrapped tonight.  Ugh.

Phase 3: Wait, isn't there a half gallon of chocolate milk still in the fridge?  Yep.  There you go.

In my defense, I did heat it in a pot instead of the microwave, as it seemed a *tiny* bit more heartfelt.  There's more:  I also toasted a marshmallow!  That scores a few extra points, right? :)

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on my recent lack on blog info.  Fortunately, daddy's coming home VERY soon to energize our depressing kitchen.  Until then, happy holidays to everyone!  I'm waiting for some yummy holiday photos or recipes!

1 comment:

  1. You will all have something to be excited about soon. Wish we could be there for the welcome home feasts!

    ReplyDelete