27 January 2011

"Sneaky" Loaded Nachos

I'm completely guilty of having a shelf full of great cookbooks, and knowing full well that I've barely even skimmed the surface of the potentially tasty recipes that are hidden inside.  For instance, I've had a cute copy of Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld resting on that very shelf for nearly two years now.  For those who haven't heard of it, it involves cooking, pureeing, portioning and storing various fruits and vegetables, then using them in very dishonest ways while cooking "kid food" for your children.  When I first bought it, I was overly excited at the thought of all of the incredibly healthy superfoods that I was planning to sneak into my kids' diets!  Last month, when I realized that I hadn't even tried a single recipe yet, I finally accepted the fact that I'm apparently not very sneaky after all.

Let the deceit begin!


I have to tell you, I'm kind of in love with my first deceptive dinner!  I started out making her taco meat recipe one night (including sneaky pureed squash), but actually didn't care for it much.  However, I loved the sneaky squash part, so I made my own super quick version the next week - yum!  Simply browned ground turkey in a bit of olive oil, seasoned it with homemade taco seasoning that I keep on hand, added a bit of water, then tossed in (1/2 cup? 1 cup?) of pureed butternut squash that I still had in the deep freezer from the leftover homemade babyfood supply (it's a really cold freezer...don't judge).

I told the kids we were having a nacho party.  "What's a nacho?"  They helped me scoop the meat over their chips, then added their own toppings.  Audrey's idea?  Cottage cheese - her new go to food for any situation.  Want to know the truth?  It was super yummy, and I've put cottage cheese on top every time since!  It's the perfect sub for both the cheese and sour cream!


I wonder how long it will take me to try recipe #2? 
PS- Also made this using canned pumpkin - just as delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I have an even better story from my same cookbook. I spent a whole day pureeing (spelling?) food after I got the cookbook last Christmas and the packages of puree are still in my freezer. I did use one once, and I was able to hide the squash in the spaghetti! So, it works if I would just motivate myself!

    ReplyDelete