This leads me to our small Sunday dinner. We were feeling a little less than inspired to make much, but Shaun offered to grill something. We had a whole chicken in the fridge, and we to try another beer can chicken so that it could just sit on the smoker while we did yard work. We had tried one once in San Diego, and we couldn't remember if we liked it or not. Out comes the Bud Light Lime again! So I mixed up the beer/sauce, and got the can ready for our "diet coke can" chicken, then he took care of the rest. In the end, it was okay, but we weren't super excited about it. It had a good smoked taste, but we couldn't really taste any of the other flavors at all. I think it's just going to take a lot for another whole chicken recipe to beat our favorite: Simple Whole Roasted Chicken! Oh well, now we know.
I needed a quick side, and I had bought some fresh green beans to try Tami's beans/bacon idea, so I went with that. Basically, these beans were sauteed with onions in the bacon grease, then I added a little water to cook them a bit as it evaporated off, then I just seasoned them with salt and pepper - and topped them with the bacon. Not sure if that's exactly how you explained it to me, Tami, but hopefully it was close! Thanks so much - we all really liked them - and Audrey even ate some!
Cinder Cake
1 package Oreos
1 stick butter
1 half gallon vanilla ice cream
1 jar of hot fudge
1 small Cool Whip
Crush Oreos and mix with melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 13x9" pan -freeze. Top with slightly softened ice cream - freeze. Heat hot fudge a little, and smooth over ice cream - freeze. Top with Cool Whip, and garnish with a few crushed Oreos - freeze!
Well now the Ryan's were totally available on Sunday to help you eat that! :) We have a great beer can chicken rub that makes it tasty too.
ReplyDeleteThe cinder cake is still a favorite in our family. In fact I bought the Oreos last week to make one....if they survive the grandsons spending the weekend! I'm glad that Shaun liked it. It's not easy to find a dessert that he actually enjoys.
ReplyDelete