09 December 2009

Breakfast for Dinner: Sausage & Egg Souffle

Whether it's a lack of ingredients, or just out of sheer boredom, every now and then I decide to make breakfast for dinner.  Maybe it's because Shaun has to wake up so early each morning, and we don't often have a chance to have a homemade breakfast together.  Whatever the reason, we all seem to enjoy it, and it's a nice change of pace. 

Last weekend, I used the leftover bread from the Thanksgiving dressing, and the cooked sausage from the gravy (I tried a new gravy recipe using the drippings from some spicy sausage - big yuck on that one!!), and made my cousin's recipe for Breakfast Souffle...basically what I'd call a Sausage & Egg Breakfast Casserole.  Easy and delicious!  Best of all, it's actually better to make it the night before so that it can rest overnight, so all you need to do is pop it into the oven in the morning.  It doesn't get any easier than that!  Perfect for overnight holiday guests!


Breakfast Souffle
(I changed the amounts a bit to fit into a 8x8" square glass dish.)

6 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. dried ground mustard
3/4 tsp. salt
2 c. milk
1 lb. pork sausage, cooked and crumbled
2 slices white bread, cubed with crusts removed
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

In a medium-sized bowl, combine eggs, mustard, salt and milk.  Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.  Stir in cooked sausage, bread and cheese.  Pour into a greased 8X8" glass baking dish.  Cover and refrigerate overnight or for 8-12 hours.  Bake uncovered at 350 for around 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment