One would think that I would spend a significant amount of time blogging on, of all holidays, Thanksgiving. Well, I did spend quite a bit of time getting ready for the big day, and our joint dinner with another family was delicious -- but I forgot to take any photos until we already started eating! Is it just me, or are posts kind of boring without pictures? I ended up breaking the camera out anyway, but felt kind of silly snapping away while people had already started eating. The result? In my opinion, not very tasty-looking photos! SO, I'll just tell you what we had, and share a couple shots that turned out okay. Sound like a plan?
We ended up inviting another family over to the house that afternoon, and I was lucky enough to be able to share the Thanksgiving cooking duties with the other wife/mom - my friend Nicky (a.k.a. The Banana Bread Post Lady). Upon Shaun's request, I had Dana's (yes, Dana from Annapolis) Marinated Cheese out when they arrived. I had intended to make this cute fruit turkey for the kids, but it fell victim to time and a lack of concern on my part! Shaun had been smoking our turkey in the "Green Egg" all day (thanks again Bishops!), and we were just praying that it turned out at least okay since we have zero clue in turkey-smoking department. In the end, it was pretty tasty, but I think we should have taken it off the smoker about an hour earlier...a little too dry.
Otherwise, the rest of the dinner was split between us. Nicky made a yummy green salad with apples, candied nuts, cranberries and feta; cheesy-topped garlic mashed potatoes; and the most delicious sweet potato souffle/casserole I've ever tasted! (Don't judge the grammer...as the blogger, I have decided that semi-colons are necessary!!) I made a corn and bean casserole, crescent rolls (named due to their shape...they're not like true, flaky crescent rolls - although I do love the taste!!), and dressing (or stuffing, if you'd prefer). I had found a dressing recipe that I was super excited to try: Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing. At the last minute, I started to stress about trying out a new recipe on guests at Thanksgiving, so I also made my mom's traditional dressing. In the end, the new recipe ended up working out well - lots of great fall flavors! I think we'll have it again sometime just as a nice side...would be delicious with Simple Roasted Chicken!
To round out the evening, we shared pie duty and served apple, pecan and pumpkin pies with ice cream. I'd say that it was an overall success -- except I'm pretty sure that the kids were totally turned off by everything! Audrey's Thanksgiving consisted of about 4 rolls and some ice cream with sprinkles!
I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday with your families and friends, and I'd love to hear all about your Thanksgiving favorites too! Looking forward to sharing some tasty Christmas fun with you all soon!
(And now for the sad little shots that turned out...)
Sounds like a great meal to me! I wonder if Nicky would share that great sweet potato dish. I am never thrilled with mine, but Jeff requested it. We had the traditional Thanksgiving menu. I did roast vegetables, and also included Aunt Linda's cranberry jello salad that everyone seemed to enjoy in addition to the cranberry fluff. I am trying to cut down a little, so last year I didn't have cranberry fluff. I thought Elizabeth was going to cry at the table. By the time everyone requested their favorite pie, I had seven different ones...twelve in all for thirteen people to eat!! Ridiculous, I know. I must have a mental disorder when it comes to Thanksgiving pie, but I got it from Grandma! I've never had marinated cheese. Maybe you can fix it when you are here for Christmas!
ReplyDelete