Meet our semi-famous chicken from Polyface Farms -- in the form of chicken and dumplings. (If you still haven't watched Food, Inc., stop reading my blog and go rent it!) I started boiling the chicken before actually settling on a recipe, so when I chose Cook's Illustrated's Chicken and Dumplings I found that I had already screwed up the recipe a bit. I skipped the whole browning of the chicken and vegetables process (and totally forgot about the carrots), but otherwise basically stuck to the recipe, and added all of the listed ingredients.
The dumplings...those chewy, delicious dumpings! Definitely a keeper, that one. A little more involved than some recipes (like most from ATK and Cook's Illustrated tend to be), but very worth it. I actually made the recipe thinking that Audrey and Thomas would really enjoy it...sometimes I feel like I don't make enough super kid-friendly dinners. Let's see, Audrey ate three bites then literally started gagging. After putting Thomas' meal on his tray, I turned and walked back to the stove only to hear an immediate splat (dumpling being tossed to the floor) and a thud (sippy cup that followed), and looked back to find him sitting there grinning with both fingers jammed up his nose. He never ate a bite of it. I'm going back to adult food!
No comments:
Post a Comment