Kitchen adventures shared with one hungry husband and two little cupcake helpers
07 May 2011
Fresh Roadside Asparagus!
On our drive through the Eastern Shore last weekend, we were lured into a little farm market in Maryland with a handwritten roadside sign stating: FRESH ASPARAGUS (insert arrow pointing this way!) Two to three pounds of asparagus and a little cookbook later, we were back on the road with lots of talk about what we could do with our newest green friends. In the end, I went two different routes:
I steamed a handful of them (although grilling would have been a bit more tasty) to chop and add to our Black Bean Couscous Salad. This recipe is a staple at our house...a side that has become a main dish. It's fun to toss in new ingredients, and it always tastes great! By the way, while we love black beans, I prefer to use only one can per batch rather than the two listed in the recipe. I also made it a few weeks ago, and added grilled, chopped broccolini stems -- crunchy and delicious!
The rest became a delicious Creamy Asparagus Soup from an issue of Cook's Country (a.k.a. country version of America's Test Kitchen). (BTW- Since it's a subscriber-only website, I found a lady that had blogged about it and written the recipe so that I could avoid typing it for you...how lazy of me!) Shaun nearly used a straw to take down his bowl as quickly as possible! I loved the taste, but it was a bit too stringy/pulpy for me. Part of the reason may have been that I used my immersion blender instead of the food processor, but I think it still would have lacked that velvety smooth feel I was going for. Maybe I could strain it next time? I'm so excited about a full summer of fresh food experiments to come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment