28 September 2009

A Little Fun in the Kitchen

About a month ago, the kids and I were in the checkout lane at the grocery story, and a little magazine caught Audrey's eye.  I generally say no to all things "checkout lane", but I have to admit that I kind of fell for it too.  It was a mini-magazine by Taste of Home featuring fun foods to make with kids, and it had a bunch of pink piggy cookies on the cover.  I have no idea how much I paid for it, but it has already paid for itself ten times over with the amount of fun we've had just looking at it!  Audrey gets SO excited trying to decide what we should make next.  We've tried quite a few things, although I only have a couple of photos.  The major hit so far has definitely been the Octopus Hotdog!  Hopefully we'll have more fun photos to share soon.



For the Octopus Hotdogs, simply cut "eight legs", then drop it into boiling water!  Jumbo dogs work best.



Indoor S'mores are as easy as topping graham crackers with marshmallows and chocolate chips, then broiling them.  This recipe also has you drizzle them with caramel sauce before baking.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have been busy! I am personally serving meals out of a cereal box this week. I have realized however, what I like least about you blog (don't worry - it has nothing to do with you!)...I am so jealous of all the fun food that you folks that live in the good ole USA can buy. Marshmallows, chocolate chips, HOT DOGS! Forget baking powder or baking soda (which I fortunately smuggled in.) They don't bake here. If you want something like a cake or dessert it is assumed that you will go to the bakery. Wilton food coloring...if you can find it costs $7.00 for the little tiny pot. Good grief! Pizza? LOL The Dutch haven't the foggiest idea how to make pizza. I finally hunted down some yeast the other day to make dough myself (any recommendations??) So...cheers (yes, CHEERS...I've been hanging out with many Brits these days!!) to you for making all these yummy things...and for now on have an extra bite for me! Lots of Hugs!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete