28 September 2009

Toasted Marshmallow Milkshakes

I was watching "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on Food Network, and this guy was talking about how he's addicted to these Toasted Marshmallow Milkshakes that are served at some restaurant in New York.  He kept going on and on, and by the time he was drinking the third one, I had decided that I needed one as well.  When it comes to food, I'm not very patient.  If I have a craving, I kind of obsess over it until I am able to eat it!  So, I figure the quicker I can remedy the situation, the less I have to think about it!!  The problem: No ice cream.

So, into the grocery store we go - Thomas in his stroller and Audrey proudly pushing the little tiny shopping cart.  When we arrived in the frozen foods section, I realized that our favorite brand of ice cream was on sale, buy two get three free (pretty good deal, right?)  As if she wasn't already proud of her cart, Audrey is now beaming pushing her way to the checkout with five cartons of ice cream piled up in the basket!

The shake itself isn't really anything necessarily super involved (and doesn't seem to photograph all that well!), but it was delicious!  I made the mistake of telling Shaun about the marshmallows before I made them (which he thought was gross), but he later admitted that they were great.  So, I just basically made a regular batch of milkshakes in the blender with vanilla bean ice cream and milk (we used chocolate milk), but then stuck a bunch of large marshmallows in the toaster oven just until they barely started to brown, then put 3 per shake into the blender.  Once the marshmallows were fully blended in, pour the shakes into glasses and top with a couple more toasted marshmallows!


I must admit that, although they looked nice as a topping, I didn't love the marshmallows on top.  Just stick your straw through them and go for the shake because they quickly cooled, and it was impossible to incorporate them with them staying in a big blob.  Mother and Daddy, when I was making these, it reminded me of the "marshmallow cream" phase we went through wehn I was little - a bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup and marshmallow cream as the go-to weeknight dessert for a while!  Give these a try, and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment