I wish that I could stick this onto the end of last year's posts -- I hate to start off the blog's 2010 on a culinary wrong foot, but here's the truth: A couple of weeks ago, I suffered my largest kitchen "malfunction" to date! I won't go into all the smokey details, let's just say it started with a perfectly lovely afternoon and a simmering beef stew, and ended with me shopping for a new dutch oven and airing out the house for an entire day (a 35-degree at that). Oh, there was also the small matter of me wiping down EVERY exposed surface in my kitchen with vinegar to combat the smell.
On a good day, I'd like to think that I'm slightly above scorching my kitchen by leaving a pan simmering on LOW, but for a few days I was humbled into admitting defeat. That is, until about 2 days later when I triumphantly called my mom to report that the Sears guy had stuck the knobs on the wrong burners on our new stove! I thought I was simmering the stew on the lowest setting for two hours...in actuality, I was obliterating it on HIGH. Handy to know for future reference. I guess everything happens for a reason. Had I not taken the knobs off in an attempt to scrub the horrific smell off of every possible surface, I would have never realized. Lord knows the back of those knobs wouldn't have seen the light of day otherwise!
No comments:
Post a Comment