Often times, I will see a food item (a certain cookie, a sandwich on TV, a childhood dish on a home video), and then I kind of obsess over it until I finally just make it. My recent oddball obsession? Split Pea Soup. While out to dinner at an Irish pub over the holidays, I watched my father-in-law order a crock of split pea soup, and realized that I had never even tasted it before. Never one to keep my mouth shut when it comes to "food chat", I then shared this fact with the table, and my spoon was quickly introduced to the creamy green crock!
Once home, I decided it was time to dust off that bag of split peas from the pantry, and find a good soup recipe. (Yes, I had a bag of split peas - we're on the legume kick, remember?) Lucky for me, I'm going to be able to check Split Pea Soup off of my master list on the first try! I decided on Ina Garten's Parker's Split Pea Soup. I chose it for it's lack of requird ham hock, but ended tossing in a cup of diced ham that we had leftover in the fridge. I must say, I was quite skeptical, and really not expecting much -- but it was seriously delicious! Everyone loved it - the kids included. I was thrilled that they ate it so well! In fact, I'm planning to freeze some of the leftovers in muffin cups (like I did Thomas' baby food), then keep them in a zipper bag for quick, healthy dinners for him. I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did...it's nice to be surprised!
I swear to you - I just looked at your blog this very second...I came home from the grocery store about 30 minutes ago with all the ingredients to make pea soup! Way Way Way too funny!
ReplyDeleteWe got to sample the soup on our recent visit to the Liebs. I agree that it had a great taste. Emily didn't think the texture was as nice after it had been frozen, but the taste was still there. In forty-three years of marriage, I have never made split pea soup. Nice to learn something from your daughter!
ReplyDeleteNo offense, but my boys would not take one bite of this because of the green color. In fact, I just asked them. Sorry!
ReplyDelete