On an obvious soup kick, I present you with yet another rainy day favorite. I'm not sure what technically makes an official "chowder". This looks like a chowder, so I don't feel the need to get too technical! Some of you may already have this recipe, as I've been making it for a few years now, and it's one of our favorites. It's simple to throw together, doesn't need much time to cook, and is very forgiving with missing/substituted ingredients! Served with some steamy corn muffins, this soup is the perfect remedy for a cold and rainy winter weekend!
Ham, Potato & Corn Chowder
2 Tbsp. butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
5 small gold or red potatoes, diced
2 c. diced ham
1 c. frozen corn
1 can creamed corn
3 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. EACH salt & pepper (or to taste)
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
half and half
In large pot, saute onions and celery in butter until transluscent. Add potatoes, ham, corn, creamed corn, chicken broth, salt and pepper to pot. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Whisk cornstarch with a small amount of cold water, add to pot, and continue simmering until slightly thickened. Just before serving, add half and half to achieve your desired creamy "chowder-ness"! I usually add about a half cup.
Sounds yummy, like for a snowy day. Now that we can't consume anything that's in it, we have a problem. May try it anyway!
ReplyDeleteM