Audrey had a blast with this one! Growing up, my family made this fun treat often, so we shared it with Aunt Tara during her recent visit. Maybe not a traditional caramel corn since it's made in the microwave instead of an oven, but it's definitely an easy treat! The most crucial step for a successful batch: While it's still warm and sticky, just out of the microwave, everyone must gather and spread it all over the table while "looking for stray popcorn kernels" -- in other words, everyone sits around the table having fun and eating lots of warm, gooey caramel corn, and celebrates the occasional discovery of a stray popcorn kernel! Enjoy!
Microwave Caramel Corn
1 gallon freshly popped corn
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
1/4 c. white corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Spray the inside of a large, clean paper grocery bag with cooking spray (I sometimes put two bags together for a double layer.) Pour popcorn into the bag. Mix sugars, syrup, butter and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until it boils, stirring occasionally. When it starts boiling, note the time, and allow it to boil for two minutes**. Remove from microwave and add baking soda. Mix well as it foams up. Pour immediately over popped corn in grocery bag, fold over the top of the bag, and shake well. Microwave bag for about 90 seconds**. Shake again. Repeat another 90 seconds** and shake. Place a layer of waxed paper on your table, and pour hot caramel corn onto paper. It will be very hot at first, but cools fairly quickly, so you'll want to separate the pieces as much as you can before cooling. Don't forget the find the extra kernels!
**My microwave cooks at a fairly high power, so I usually cut these times by at least a third or half. Original recipes times are written.
Oh the caramel corn...I remember that fondly. I can't wait til we live in the same place again so I can enjoy all the Emily Lieb treats! Hawaii anyone?
ReplyDelete:)Nicole
I'm glad you have fond memories of the caramel corn nights! I just mentioned to your Daddy, "How can sugar be that bad for you; some of our best family memories involved sugar!"
ReplyDelete