07 April 2011

Pasta Attempt #2: Vegetable Lasagna


For my second attempt at homemade pasta, I knew I wanted to make Lidia's Semolina Pasta.  (Can I somehow copy and paste her entire tomato header and make it my Emily's Italy blog template?!)  This recipe ended up being the one I had been hoping for:

Lidia Bastianich's Semolina Pasta Dough
2 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. semolina flour
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. tepid water, or as needed

As for directions, because you are all my friends, I can tell you this: Just youtube it.  Someone will be more than happy to show you how to get your pasta dough ready, and then I will be saved from typing out the TWO pages of instructions from her cookbook!  It's really not all that involved, don't let this scare you off!

Since my pasta machine first rolls out sheets, I decided to stick with that and make lasagna.  I did have a few sheets leftover, so I ran those through the machine again to make spaghetti (or whatever thickness that turned out to be), then took Lidia's advice and froze it to use at a later date.



After the pasta sheets had dried a bit, I boiled them just like you would boxed lasagna, only for a shorter amount of time.


For the filling, I simply sauteed a bunch of veggies that we had on hand in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  I forgot to add the broccoli...I love broccoli in veggie lasagna!


I then layered the cooked pasta sheets and sauteed veggies with lots of our favorite homemade marinara sauce and quite a bit of mozzarella, then topped it all with a bunch of fresh parmesan.



I'll admit, it was quite a bit of work.  Was it that much better than using all store-bought ingredients?  Slightly.  Will I start totally from scratch every time?  No way.  Will I still spend time in the future playing around with new types of fresh pasta?  Absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment