One night this past week, I had salmon thawing for dinner, and was trying to think of a couple of sides that would work well with it. I had tons of fresh spinach, so I knew I'd probably sautee it (my favorite!) in a little olive oil and garlic with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, but I needed on more side. Wanting to add another healthy option instead of just throwing in the expected starchy side, a bean recipe popped into my head - one that I had used in a stuffed portobello recipe last year. I remember loving the bean layer, so I wondered if it could stand on its own heated as a "layered side".
The results are in: We loved it! So delicious, super healthy, and it looked like something that I hadn't just thrown together. I'll definitely have to try it out on you guys to see what they think! If you'd happen to make it, note that (like the first time) when I pureed the beans, I used fresh basil instead of rosemary. I keep a jar of frozen fresh basil leaves in the freezer to use in cooked foods throughout the winter. My parents suggested this to me a couple of summers ago, and it works really well for cooked foods! I have to add that although there's no substitute for fresh herbs and spices, I love using both of these products too: Dorot and Gourmet Garden. Sorry, off topic, but super handy products!
In case you're having trouble seeing the bean recipe (I seem to remember that complaint with the portobellos), here's a quick recap of my version:
Blend the following in a food processor until creamy:
1 can (15 ounces) Great Northern or cannellini beans, drained
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp water
3 fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Sorry, I feel like this post was all over the place. Busy day! FYI: My first Wilton cake decorating class is tonight! :)
I'm just curious why, all of a sudden, I'm getting your blog posts in my e-mail account. I am anxious to try the bean recipe since we both like beans most any way you fix them. I'm wondering about the Coconut Syrup. Oh, we did fix the yummy pancake syrup over the week-end and am seriously considering keeping some in the refrigerator for one of our "breafast" suppers. We both like breakfast for supper on occasion. Good luck giving up meat for Lent, Gary would probably not be able to stick to that although it sounds like you're planning on eating fish so that should make it easier.
ReplyDelete