I'm really wishing that I could have been around for a slice of the strawberry cake above. It looks delicious, and has me completely excited about strawberry season coming up in just a few months! (I'm proud of you for making it too!) I've tried a number of fresh strawberry cakes...any recipe that includes fresh, juicy sliced strawberries and yummy cake is okay in my book. Well, except one that I tried last summer...that's what I get for going out on a limb! I don't think I ever posted on it because 1- I didn't really like it; and 2- It didn't look too great either. Not exactly the stuff of great blogs! That recipe called for pureed fresh strawberries in both the cake and the icing. I thought it would be out of this world, but definitely found it kind of strange. Maybe it's just me?
In other news, my apologies to Tami and my mom. Both sent tasty-looking photos of new recipes, and then I let them fall through the cracks. Better late than never! Tami recently sent a shot of her apple-stuffed pork loin, which I thought sounded quite fancy :) In the end, she said although they enjoyed it, she didn't care for the mushy texture of the stuffing. Instead, next time she's going to simply make an unstuffed loin, but stick with the yummy sauce that she threw together consisting of apple sauce, brown sugar, corn starch and a bit of water. I have a pork loin in the freezer right now...this sounds like a quick and easy sauce that I'm sure to try next time - Thanks!
Last, and definitely most overdue, is my mom's bulger salad. We've gotten into the habit of stopping at Whole Foods as my parents drive us home from the airport when we visit so that we can stock up on a few favorites that we don't have access to anymore. I love the fact that they love slowly strolling through the aisles as much as us! Well, except sometimes they like to browse even longer than me because they don't have a toddler in the cart ready to erupt at any give point!! Anyway, my mom found a recipe (from Healthy Cooking?) for a bulger salad that looked good, so she picked up some bulger the next time they were there. If I remember correctly, this one received mixed reviews from the family. I'm pretty sure the recipe ratings were directly proportional to the age of the reviewers - in a nutshell, the kids were grossed out :) It looks fresh and tasty, though, right?
Keep the photos coming! If I forgot yours...well, it's likely accidentally in a recycling bin somewhere in cyberspace!


No comments:
Post a Comment